Category Archives: Lips
Neon bright shades are the hottest trend of this season and while many people would love to wear neon shades, they find difficulty in pulling such shades off. I recently purchased NYX Round lipstick ‘Louisiana‘ which is a blue based bright pink shade.
This was my first time trying out such a bright shade and I decided to keep the look simple with thick winged liner and soft pink blush.
Here is how you can wear a neon pink lipstick :
- Keep it simple with thick black slightly winged liner on the upper lash line and lots of mascara.
- Apply just a hint to kohl/black pencil/gel liner on lower lash line to define and give shape to your eyes.
- Leave the waterline bare or apply flesh toned pencil to give a neat bright look.
- Fill in your brows with dark brown eyeshadow/pencil and apply compact under the browbone for a neat crisp look.
Products I used :
1. Maybelline drama gel liner on upper lash line thickly and just a hint of it on lower lash line.
2. MAC Chromagraphic pencil on waterline, inner corner and under brows.
3. Maybelline colossal volume mascara
4. Angular brush for applying gel liner.
Whenever wearing a bright bold lipstick, it is important to even out any pigmentation and patches using concealer and a good coverage foundation because bright lipstick tends to draw attention to the imperfections of the face.
- Even out your skin using concealer under the eyes, around the nose and mouth and on any blemishes.
- Apply a medium-full coverage foundation all over face and neck and set it with compact.
- Apply a cool toned soft pink blush all over the apples of the cheeks and blend towards hairline.
- For a balanced, classy look – Black/white/beige/taupe- neutral monochrome outfits
- Deep dark cool blues like navy blue- preferably monochrome
- Subtle fine colorful prints that don’t have any particular color standing out.
- For a bright and colorful spring/summer look : Pair with monochrome dresses/tops in colors like green or yellow for a fresh young look.
Have you tried neon pink lipstick? Which is your favorite bright pink lipstick shade? Share your comments by replying below.
When I first started wearing lipsticks, I first had a fixation for pinks followed by a love for reds (read Revlon Colorburst ‘Crimson’ 🙂 ). My current favorites are however neutral/natural shades. I like my nude/neutral lipsticks to have a hint of color otherwise it gives a washed out look to the face. The beauty of such shades as compared to completely nude shades is that they can be worn on their own as well as paired with dramatic eye makeup!
Here is my collection of neutral/natural shade lipsticks-
1. Maybelline color sensational ‘My Mahogany’ (Price- Rs 299)
Nude shade with warm pink undertone.
2. Colorbar longwear ‘En Vogue’ (Price- Rs 440)
Cool toned nude pink shade
3. Lakme Satin enrich #133 (Rs 225)
Warm peachy-brown nude shade with slight pink undertone.
4. Colorbar DIVA ‘Dress to Impress’ (Rs 350)
Mid tone pink with a mauve undertone.
5. Chambor Silk touch ‘Silk Woods’ (Rs 525)
Brown based nude shade.
6. Lotus herbals pure color ‘Rosewood’ (Rs 225)
Warm brownish-pink shade- gives a very natural look.
7. Lakme enrich matte #263 (Rs 225)
Peachy-brown shade a pink undertone.
My favorites among these are Lakme enrich #133, Colorbar DIVA ‘Dress to Impress’, Lotus pure color ‘Rosewood’ and Lakme enrich matte #263.
What are your favorite natural/neutral lipsticks? Share your comments by replying below.
I recently made my first Avon purchase and I’m loving each and every product I bought. I picked up 3 nail paints from the Simply Pretty range taking advantage of the offer- ‘Sweet Pink’ , ‘Champagne Shimmer‘ and ‘Mango Mania‘. Also picked up a lipstick from the Simply Pretty range ‘Mango Mania‘. My Avon representative Jinal also gave me Avon Naturals Wild apple and grape hand and body lotion as a free gift with my purchases. Thank you Jinal 🙂
Mango Mania is a coral-brick shade that instantly brings warmth to the face. Its neither too bright nor too dull, just has the right amount of orange tone and looks beautiful worn as it is. It is the sort of shade that’ll suit all skin tones. Thank you Natasha for recommending this shade to me 🙂
Price: Rs 125
Quantity : 4 g
Mini Review : The texture is smooth but not too soft, its not very moisturizing) and will not suit people with dry lips. The staying power is good – easily lasts 3-4 hours with meals in between and an even tint remains on the after 4 hours too. The packaging is not so attractive but I don’t mind that at this price. The shade is mentioned in small font at one end of the lipstick so to identify a particular shade- you need to go through each label. The pigmentation is good and coverage is medium in single swipe and can be built up to opaque intense color in 2-3 swipes. Th finish is almost matte but not drying.
At Rs 125, its a steal! And I highly recommend this particular shade to everyone.
Will I repurchase: Yes.
This is what I wore today. You can share your makeup breakdown of the day with me on Facebook by clicking HERE.
I’m currently wearing the nail paint ‘Champagne Shimmer’ from the 3 nail paints I purchased. I picked up 3 nail paints for Rs 105 from the May catalog. As the name suggests, it is a champagne color with evenly distributed fine shimmer in it. Single coat gives a sheer coverage and double coat builds up the shimmer for a full coverage opaque look. I have worn the nail paint for 2 days now without top or base coat and there’s been no chipping yet. It gives a fairer and glamorous look to the hands. The shimmer is not subtle but its not too blingy either.
Have you tried Avon products? What are your favorite products from Avon?
p.s- I’m trying out a new theme on the blog. I find it livelier and peppier than the last one. What do you think? Let me know your comments and suggestions.
Today I’m reviewing one my favorite budget buys- Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick. Retailing at Rs 225 this lipstick is a great product for those on a budget and even otherwise. I own 3 shades from this range –
Rosewood (natural brown with hint of pink, MLBB shade) , Pink Blush (warm rosy pink), Peach creme (peachy coral with brown undertone)
Price : Rs 225
Quantity : 4.2 g
What the website says about the product :
‘Pure Colors’ is a range of 12 exciting moisturizing lip colors in pinks and browns. There are 6 shades of each type. They have natural extracts of Jojoba and Aloe Vera. The unique product qualities are: – Uniform dispersion of pigments – Rich payoff – Smooth application
Active ingredients :
JOJOBA – Jojoba helps promote healing of the skin. – Its antimicrobial properties in addition to the chemical composition that closely resembles skin’s natural sebum, makes it easy to absorb and non-allergic even in the most sensitive individual.
MY TAKE ON THE PRODUCT :
Packaging : It comes in a beige and gold packaging. The packaging is moderately sturdy though one of my pieces feels a little flimsy and has opened up during travelling though there was no damage to the lipstick. One end of the lipstick has a sticker with the shade name. Its a little inconvenient to find the right one when you have more than one lipstick of this range.
Texture, Moisturization and Pigmentation : The texture is smooth and it glides easily on the lips. It is neither too ‘balmy’ nor too dry. Its just the right texture. Does not accentuate the dryness or fine lines of the lips, instead gives a moisturized look to the lips. Pigmentation is awesome- single swipe gives good color which can be built up in intensity in 3-4 swipes. It is quite moisturizing, makes lips soft and smooth. Very dry lips might not find it very comfortable though.
Lasting power : Lasts about 3-4 hours on me including meals. In fact, it lasts me more than other more expensive lipsticks I own. The color fades into an even tint after 2.5-3 hours. This is more than I’d expect from a lipstick priced at Rs 225! Does not settle into lines, smudge or bleed as time passes though can’t stay about the darker shades.
Shade selection : It has an impressive and complete shade selection- from pinks to peaches to lilacs to maroons and browns. It even has a gold and a greyish shade which could be great for layering.
PART 1 (following 2 pics)
TOP (l-r) : 642 Sheer fuchsia, 643 Hot Plum
MIDDLE (l-r ) : 644 Lilac Beauty, 665 Sassy Mocha, 690 Perky peach, 640 Carnation, 645 Orchid Kiss, 641 Rosewood
BOTTOM 1 : 667 Star glow
BOTTOM 2: 691 Peach creme
PART 2 :
TOP (l-r ) : 666 Nutty Brown, 685 Golden Dusk
BOTTOM (l-r) : 680 Caprice, 681 Lilac Breeze, 610 Crimson Red, 612 Red Rose, 668 Mod mauve, 613 Maroon Delight
The GOOD about Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick :
1. Like the beige and gold packaging.
2. The texture is smooth and soft- not to balmy but not dry either.
3. Good moisturization- makes my lips soft.
4. Pigmented is good- gives opaque and buildable coverage
5. Lasts comfortably on my lips for 3-4 hours including meals.
6. Contains Jojoba oil and aloe vera as ingredients.
7. Wide shade selection- has a shade for everyone
8. Does not smudge or bleed or settle into fine lines.
9. Gives even tint on lips as it fades.
10. Has a mild pleasant fragrance.
11. Awesome quantity and quality at Rs 225!
12. 100% vegetarian.
The NOT-SO-GOOD about Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick :
1. Packaging is not very sturdy and the color is hard to identify from outside- have to read labels to find the right shade.
2. Full list of ingredients is not mentioned.
3. Not very moisturizing, might not be very comfortable for dry lips.
This is how ‘Rosewood’ looks on me –
Overall Verdict : Its a moisturizing, pigmented and smooth textured lip color priced very reasonably at Rs 225. The lasting power is quite decent : 3-4 hours including meals. Does not settle into lines, feather or bleed though can’t say for darker shades. Fades evenly into a tint on the lips. Its not easy to identify shades from outside, the packaging could have been more user friendly and sturdier. Shade selection is very wide and covers all basic shades. Highly recommend this to everyone!
Rating : 4.5/5 (For reasons listed above)
Will I repurchase : Yes. I’m loving the shade ‘Rosewood’ these days and have my eyes on ‘Red Rose’
Today I’m reviewing Faces creme matte lip gloss in shade ’03 Deep Lilac’. Faces is a recent discovery of mine and I’ve loving their products so far! The product being reviewed is similar to Bourjois so delicate lip creme lipstick and NYX soft matte lip creme.
Price : Rs 399
Quantity : not specified
What the outer carton says about the product :
– made from Flex form complex which immediately defines and smoothens the lip
– it is easy to apply, offers complete coverage and helps keep lips soft and shiny foreve
– dermatologically tested.
TEXTURE , MOISTURIZATION and PIGMENTATION : The texture is that of a smooth cream, its not a runny liquid, it more like thick butter or cream. The consistency is perfect for easy application. The creme formula has a smooth matte finish on the lips. Pigmentation is excellent- it is opaque and gives full coverage in single swipe hiding any pigmentation one may have quite effectively. It is not moisturizing but its not really drying either. It feels quite comfortable on the lips. I have slightly dry lips and I did not feel any stretchy or tight feeling on my lips. However, it won’t suit chapped lips.
FRAGRANCE : It has strong very yummy butterscotch kind of smell which vanishes within 2-3 minutes of application. People who like their makeup products unscented might not like it. I personally love it! 😛
After 2 hours(and one meal) :
After 5 hours (and 2 meals : the lower lip had more fading cos of the meals/fluid intake)