Category Archives: Lotus Herbals
When I first started wearing lipsticks, I first had a fixation for pinks followed by a love for reds (read Revlon Colorburst ‘Crimson’ 🙂 ). My current favorites are however neutral/natural shades. I like my nude/neutral lipsticks to have a hint of color otherwise it gives a washed out look to the face. The beauty of such shades as compared to completely nude shades is that they can be worn on their own as well as paired with dramatic eye makeup!
Here is my collection of neutral/natural shade lipsticks-
1. Maybelline color sensational ‘My Mahogany’ (Price- Rs 299)
Nude shade with warm pink undertone.
2. Colorbar longwear ‘En Vogue’ (Price- Rs 440)
Cool toned nude pink shade
3. Lakme Satin enrich #133 (Rs 225)
Warm peachy-brown nude shade with slight pink undertone.
4. Colorbar DIVA ‘Dress to Impress’ (Rs 350)
Mid tone pink with a mauve undertone.
5. Chambor Silk touch ‘Silk Woods’ (Rs 525)
Brown based nude shade.
6. Lotus herbals pure color ‘Rosewood’ (Rs 225)
Warm brownish-pink shade- gives a very natural look.
7. Lakme enrich matte #263 (Rs 225)
Peachy-brown shade a pink undertone.
My favorites among these are Lakme enrich #133, Colorbar DIVA ‘Dress to Impress’, Lotus pure color ‘Rosewood’ and Lakme enrich matte #263.
What are your favorite natural/neutral lipsticks? Share your comments by replying below.
Today I’m reviewing LOTUS HERBALS maxlash botanical mascara. I’m very fond of Lotus Herbals products where it is skincare or makeup and after having a more than satisfactory experience with the lipsticks, compact and glosses, I decided to pick up the mascara since I was in need of one some time back. The only mascara I had used prior to this was Maybelline colossal volume mascara and while I liked it very much, I wanted to explore more. Sadly though, Lotus herbals MAXLASH mascara did not fulfill my expectations. Read on further to know why…
Price: Rs 245
Quantity: 4 g
What the packaging says about the product :
(I’d opened the package in a hurry to try it, hence the torn packaging )
Ingredients listed on the outer covering : (see pic above)
My take on the product:
It comes in a black tube packaging with a slighter thicker mid section with silver band. The packaging is neither very attractive nor too bad. The brush on the other hand is NOT good. For one thing it picks up too much product which accumulates on the lashes while applying giving a clumped look. It does lengthen the eye lashes significantly though.
The brush is not too dense like other volumizing mascara, it has tiny plastic teeth spaced at a moderate distance. The brush is flexible and can bend (as shown) to fit the contour of the eye lashes. The concept is good but it doesn’t really bend like that and application doesn’t feel very different from that of a non-flexible brush.
Formula: The formula is too runny. I prefer gel like formulas that don’t look too wet on the lashes and dry fast. This one takes a while to dry. The first time I applied it, I did not realise it was so wet and I applied compact on my face with a big brush and some of the mascara transferred to my skin. The good part is that you need to wipe it with a cotton/tissue and it gets removed easily without messing up that area of the skin. The runny formula and the brush together manage to clump my eye lashes together and then lengthen those clumps to give an open look to the eyes which looks nice when seen from far but close up it does not look good!
It is waterproof and stays on all day and gets removed very easily with a mild cleanser. I don’t like using oil based cleansers and prefer Cetaphil on makeup removal as well. This one comes off easily with Cetaphil 🙂
The GOOD about Lotus herbals MAXLASH botanicals mascara-
1. Lengthens eye lashes significantly.
2. Color is jet black.
3. Waterproof, stays on all day.
4. the brush and formula are not perfect but make it easy to apply
5. Removes easily with cleanser without tugging or pulling.
6. Very reasonably priced.
7. Contains botanical extracts.
8. Feels very comfortable on lashes.
The NOT-SO-GOOD about Lotus herbals MAXLASH botanicals mascara-
1. The brush picks up a lot of product and clumps the eye lashes together.
2. The formula is too runny.
3. Takes a minute to dry on the lashes.
4. Does not separate the lashes, barely volumizes.
Overall Verdict: It is one of the most reasonably priced mascara out there in the market and while it gives a lot of length and decent volume to the lashes, the brush and formula need a lot of improvement. The formula is too runny, taken some time to dry and the brush picks up a lot of product and clumps lashes together. It is waterproof , feels very comfortable on the lashes and comes off easily with a mild cleanser also which is a big plus point for me. Might work for those with very sparse lashes.
I don’t like the clumping but it does feel very comfortable to wear and gives nice length so I’m wearing it on a regular basis but would not recommend it unless you have sparse lashes. Maybelline colossal volume is a better option at around the same price.
Will I repurchase: No
Have you tried Lotus herbals MAXLASH mascara? Which is your favorite volumizing mascara? Share your comments by replying below.
I have started a new feature on Facebook called “What are we wearing today”. In this feature, I share my Face of the day (FOTD) everyday and you can share your makeup breakdown of the day with everyone by commenting on that thread. To share your makeup look today, click HERE .
This is the full makeup breakdown of the look today. It is very cool toned look with navy blue and silver on the eyes and pink on the lips.
Products used :
1. Faces long wear eye pencil ‘Navy Blue’
2. Bourjois ombre stretch eyeshadow #14 (for smudging and setting the eye pencil)
3. Streetwear metal eyes eye pencil ‘Silver lining’ (lower lash line)
4. Lotus herbals kajal (Waterline)
5. Maybelline colossal volume mascara
1. The Body shop oil free foundation (mixed with moisturizer )
2. Chambor silver shadow compact ‘RR2 Rose pale’
3. Lakme cheek artist ‘Kiss of a rose’
4. Maybelline expert wear blush ‘Pinch o pink’ (to set the cheek artist)
5. The Body shop face and body brush
6. MAC Select moisture cover concelaer NC 45.5
Maybelline colorsensational ‘Hooked on pink’
What are you wearing today ? Let me know your comments by replying below.
Today I’m reviewing one my favorite budget buys- Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick. Retailing at Rs 225 this lipstick is a great product for those on a budget and even otherwise. I own 3 shades from this range –
Rosewood (natural brown with hint of pink, MLBB shade) , Pink Blush (warm rosy pink), Peach creme (peachy coral with brown undertone)
Price : Rs 225
Quantity : 4.2 g
What the website says about the product :
‘Pure Colors’ is a range of 12 exciting moisturizing lip colors in pinks and browns. There are 6 shades of each type. They have natural extracts of Jojoba and Aloe Vera. The unique product qualities are: – Uniform dispersion of pigments – Rich payoff – Smooth application
Active ingredients :
JOJOBA – Jojoba helps promote healing of the skin. – Its antimicrobial properties in addition to the chemical composition that closely resembles skin’s natural sebum, makes it easy to absorb and non-allergic even in the most sensitive individual.
MY TAKE ON THE PRODUCT :
Packaging : It comes in a beige and gold packaging. The packaging is moderately sturdy though one of my pieces feels a little flimsy and has opened up during travelling though there was no damage to the lipstick. One end of the lipstick has a sticker with the shade name. Its a little inconvenient to find the right one when you have more than one lipstick of this range.
Texture, Moisturization and Pigmentation : The texture is smooth and it glides easily on the lips. It is neither too ‘balmy’ nor too dry. Its just the right texture. Does not accentuate the dryness or fine lines of the lips, instead gives a moisturized look to the lips. Pigmentation is awesome- single swipe gives good color which can be built up in intensity in 3-4 swipes. It is quite moisturizing, makes lips soft and smooth. Very dry lips might not find it very comfortable though.
Lasting power : Lasts about 3-4 hours on me including meals. In fact, it lasts me more than other more expensive lipsticks I own. The color fades into an even tint after 2.5-3 hours. This is more than I’d expect from a lipstick priced at Rs 225! Does not settle into lines, smudge or bleed as time passes though can’t stay about the darker shades.
Shade selection : It has an impressive and complete shade selection- from pinks to peaches to lilacs to maroons and browns. It even has a gold and a greyish shade which could be great for layering.
PART 1 (following 2 pics)
TOP (l-r) : 642 Sheer fuchsia, 643 Hot Plum
MIDDLE (l-r ) : 644 Lilac Beauty, 665 Sassy Mocha, 690 Perky peach, 640 Carnation, 645 Orchid Kiss, 641 Rosewood
BOTTOM 1 : 667 Star glow
BOTTOM 2: 691 Peach creme
PART 2 :
TOP (l-r ) : 666 Nutty Brown, 685 Golden Dusk
BOTTOM (l-r) : 680 Caprice, 681 Lilac Breeze, 610 Crimson Red, 612 Red Rose, 668 Mod mauve, 613 Maroon Delight
The GOOD about Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick :
1. Like the beige and gold packaging.
2. The texture is smooth and soft- not to balmy but not dry either.
3. Good moisturization- makes my lips soft.
4. Pigmented is good- gives opaque and buildable coverage
5. Lasts comfortably on my lips for 3-4 hours including meals.
6. Contains Jojoba oil and aloe vera as ingredients.
7. Wide shade selection- has a shade for everyone
8. Does not smudge or bleed or settle into fine lines.
9. Gives even tint on lips as it fades.
10. Has a mild pleasant fragrance.
11. Awesome quantity and quality at Rs 225!
12. 100% vegetarian.
The NOT-SO-GOOD about Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick :
1. Packaging is not very sturdy and the color is hard to identify from outside- have to read labels to find the right shade.
2. Full list of ingredients is not mentioned.
3. Not very moisturizing, might not be very comfortable for dry lips.
This is how ‘Rosewood’ looks on me –
Overall Verdict : Its a moisturizing, pigmented and smooth textured lip color priced very reasonably at Rs 225. The lasting power is quite decent : 3-4 hours including meals. Does not settle into lines, feather or bleed though can’t say for darker shades. Fades evenly into a tint on the lips. Its not easy to identify shades from outside, the packaging could have been more user friendly and sturdier. Shade selection is very wide and covers all basic shades. Highly recommend this to everyone!
Rating : 4.5/5 (For reasons listed above)
Will I repurchase : Yes. I’m loving the shade ‘Rosewood’ these days and have my eyes on ‘Red Rose’
Summer’s here in full swing and one of my favorite looks this summer are soft, natural looks with corals and peaches. Coral fever is everywhere..from makeup to clothes to footwear! Coral/peach lips paired with a peachy-pink blush instantly give a glow to the face imparting a soft, natural look.
Here are my peach and coral lipsticks-
1. Revlon Colorburst ‘Peach’ (Rs 580)
2. The Body Shop lipstick #63 (Rs 575)
3.Lotus Herbals pure color lipstick ‘Peach creme’ (Rs 225 )
Here is how they look on me-
1. Revlon Colorburst ‘Peach’
This is the lightest shade of my collection and I do not like it as much as the other 2 shades cos it washes me out a little whereas the other 2 shades especially Lotus Herbals ‘Peach creme’ brighten up my face. More suitable for fair complexions.
2. The Body Shop lipstick #63
This is a true coral shade and a gift from my Mum. Love the shade!
The shade isn’t showing up in the following picture. The true shade is as visible in the swatch above.
3. Lotus herbals pure color lipstick ‘Peach creme’
This is a peach shade with pink and brown undertones hence easier to pull off. Gives a very bright, fresh look to the face and ‘safe’ peach shade, would suit most complexions.
Products used :
1. MAC eyeshadow ‘Sable’ all over lid (last shade, bottom row)
2. Chambor Dazzle pencil liner ‘black’ on upper lash line
3. Maybelline colossal volume mascara
1. MAC Select moisture cover concealer NC 45.5
2. The Body Shop oil free foundation ’06’
3. Chambor silver shadow compact ‘RR2 Rose pale’
4. Colorbar blush – ‘Peachy rose’
What are your favorite coral and peach lipsticks? Let me know your comments by replying below.