How to coordinate makeup with outfit Vol 2 : Makeup for Blue outfits
Few days back I did a post on How to coordinate makeup with outfit Vol 1: Makeup looks to suit every outfit. Today I’m doing the second post of this series on how to coordinate makeup with BLUE outfits –
Just to warn you, this is a long post 😛 and has some ‘theory’ in it. You’re welcome to skip it if you wish and jump directly to MAKEUP TIPS FOR BLUE OUTFITS.
I’m introducing a little bit of COLOR THEORY here which will help you understand how colors can be matched together for the best effect.
There are basically 3 primary colors in pigments- Red, Yellow and Blue. Each of these colors when paired with another give rise to three new colors known as ‘secondary colors’.
Red + Yellow = Orange
Yellow + Blue = Green
Red + Blue = Purple
Now if the primaries are placed at the corner of a triangle each – the secondaries will come in between the 2 primaries they are composed of giving us what is commonly known as the COLOR WHEEL which looks something like this –
Now, colors placed diagonally opposite each other are called ‘COMPLEMENTARY‘ colors and as the name suggests- they complement each. Two complementary colors when placed together reinforce each other to bring out the color and vibrance of the other.
What this statement implies is that for eg: when red and green (complementary colors), yellow and purple and orange and blue are placed next to each other, they create a vibrant bright combination. The concept of complementary colors is very useful in coordinating colors and we will soon see how.
Just another simple concept to understand color coordination better is that of COLOR TEMPERATURE. Color temperature simply implies the warm or cool properties of a color. We all know that red, orange, yellow are warm colors and blue, green, purple are cool colors. Colors are warm and cool RELATIVE to each other eg- a teal or turquoise shade has a hint of green/yellow in it, thus is a ‘warm’ blue while indigo or navy blue is more leaning towards purple, thus it is a ‘cool’ blue.
Having understood the concept of
1- Complementary colors
2- Warm/cool colors
lets see how this applies to BLUES.
In general Blue is a COOL color but within blues, there are warm blues – blues leaning towards green like teal and turquoise and there are cool blues- blues leaning towards purple like navy blue or indigo.
MAKEUP TIPS FOR BLUE OUTFITS
1. Never match too much color with outfit- it looks tacky. If you’re wearing a fully blue outfit or a blue top, then go only for a hint of blue in form of blue liner or kohl. Do not do a full blown blue eye makeup – it creates monotony of color and is not visually appealing ! If you want to use eyeshadow, use eyeshadow a shade lighter or darker than your outfit or pair it with another color to balance it out.
2. If your outfit it partially blue with presence of other colors or if your outfit is blue from waist down (eg- Aishwarya Rai’s Cannes Armani Prive outfit) then you can go for full blue eye makeup. The presence of other colors or a different colored top will break the monotony of the blue color.
3. COORDINATING LIP COLOR :
The complementary of blue is orange (From the color wheel). Thus warm colors like orange,corals, peaches, browns complement blue. So if you’re wearing something blue in your eye makeup pair it with warm lip colors like orange, peach and browns especially with COOL blues like navy blue to complement the blue color. On the other hand, if you’re wearing a warm blue like teal/turquoise/MAC Siahi type shade, you can pair with a cool pink shades to complement the warm element in the blue.
For a ‘safer’ look- pair cool blue with pink (cool) lip color and for a more vibrant look pair with peach, brown (Warm) lip color. Similarly, for ‘safer’ look with warm blues- wear warm lip color and for a more vibrant look- pair with pink (cool) lip color.
4. ‘Silver’ is a safer coordinating color to use with cool blues while gold/bronze coordinates better with warm blues.
5. COORDINATING EYE MAKEUP :
When wearing cool blues- wear Navy, Gray or Silver on the eyes. When wearing warm blues- wear teal,turquoise, bronze, green on the eyes.
You can also use colors placed next to blue in the color wheel namely- Green and Purple, on the eyes and pair with nude/neutral lip color.
Different ways to wear the above mentioned colors in eye makeup. –
1. Colored liner on upper lash line, bare waterline.
2. Colored liner smudged on upper lash line, kohl on waterline.
3. Kohl/black liner on upper lash line smudged with colored eyeshadow, kohl on waterline.
4. Black/brown liner on upper lash line, colored eyeshadow/liner on lower lash line.
EYESHADOW COMBINATIONS :
1. Navy blue / pink
2. Navy blue/silver
3. Turquoise / lime green
4. Turquoise / dark green
6. COORDINATING CHEEK COLOR:
You can coordinate either eye color or lip color with the blush shade but I prefer coordinating lip color with the cheeks. With pink lip color go for pink cheeks, with corals/peaches/brown lip color use bronzed/warm pink/peachy brown cheeks.
If all the above it too much theory for you, here are some simple combinations –
Cool blue outfit
1. Navy blue liner, warm pinkish blush, peachy/brown/brownish pink lip color.
2. Gray liner/eyeshadow, pink blush, pink lipstick.
3. Navy blue/silver combination on eyes, warm pink blush , pink lip color.
4. Green liner, warm pink blush, nude lips
5. Navy blue eye makeup, bronzed cheeks, warm nude lip color.
Warm blue outfit
1. Teal/turquoise liner , warm pink blush, warm pink lipstick
2. Teal/turquoise eye makeup , bronzed cheeks, peachy brown lip color
3. Teal/green eye shadow , warm blush, warm/nude lip color.
4. Purple liner, warm pink blush, warn nude/pink lips
5. Lime green/parrot green eye makeup, warm pink blush, warm pink lipstick/peachy coral lipstick.
There are of course many more combinations you can wear with blue, these are just a few I’ve listed here.
Some looks I’ve worn that can be paired with blue outfits ( I’m not wearing blue in many pictures, but the makeup will go with blue outfits)
What is your favorite look with blue outfit? Share your comments by replying below.
How to coordinate makeup with outfit Vol 1 : Makeup looks to suit every outfit
I’m starting a series of posts on How to coordinate makeup with outfit after receiving requests from a few readers. While starting out with makeup, I myself struggled with coordinating lip colors, eye makeup and blush with the outfit and the occasion. It seems overwhelming at first but a little knowledge about colors and practice over time makes it easy as you go along.
This is just a basic guideline for those starting out with makeup , who find themselves at a loss on how to coordinate colors and clothes and end up either making a makeup blunder or wearing the same makeup over and over again.
In Volume 1 of this series of posts, I’m doing a few looks that can be worn with any outfit.
Hope you find this useful 🙂
1. Neutral Smokey eyes and nude lips
A basic smokey eye using neutral shades like brown, grey, khaki or even black for a dramatic look , paired with nude lips and blush.
Guideline : If you’re using a nude lipstick with a cool undertone (pink, mauve) use a cool toned blush and if you’re using a warm toned nude lipstick, use a warm blush or bronzer.
I have paired plummy brown smokey eyes with a warm blush(Maybelline Apricot Flush) with a nude lipstick with a coral undertone(Lakme Enrich #133 from Lakme Fantasy Collection)
2. Natural look
For this look, use an eyeshadow close to your skin tone, use liner, kajal/brown kohl, mascara and pair it with blush and lipstick close to your skin tone for a natural effect. Read complete post HERE.
3. Dewy Pink look
Moisturized skin, natural pink cream blush, a little highlighter on cheekbones and glossy pink lips is the simplest way to get this look. Read the full post on dewy pink look HERE and HERE.
4. Contoured eyes with statement lips
Add a little more dimension to the eyes by blending a dark brown eyeshadow into the outer corner and crease, wear liner on upper lash line and skip the kohl. Finish with mascara. Pair this with a statement lip and a hint of earthy blush. Read complete post HERE.
5. Smoldering Summer eyes
One of the quick everyday look, apply kohl on upper and lower lash line, smudge and set with powder eyeshadow of your choice- grey, plum, brown, black,khaki etc. Pair with a natural looking lipstick/gloss and you’re done! Read tutorial on how to do this eye makeup HERE.
6. Cat eyes and glossy nude lips
For a slightly dramatic look, ditch the regular liner for a cat eyes look. Pair with neutral lipstick or gloss. Read full post HERE.
And lastly, the simplest ,easiest and very popular kajal and lip balm/gloss look 🙂 (sorry, no pics!)
So which look did you like most? What do you wear most often? Suggestions and comments are welcome!