Today I’m doing a tutorial on How to apply blush/bronzer on Anks’s request. Hope you find it useful.
This tutorial is in 3 steps –
1. Contouring (with darker shade blush, at hollow of the cheekbone)
2. Blush (on apple of the cheek)
3. Highlight(on top of the cheekbone)
Step 1: Contouring
In this step, a darker shade of blush or contouring powder is applied right under your cheekbones. This gives an illusion of depth or shadow at the hollows of the cheekbones and gives a sculpted look to the face. It also gives definition to the cheekbones, making them appear higher and makes the face look slimmer. This step is also called ‘cutting’.
What to use : Any matte blush that is 2 shades darker than your skin tone or darker shade of foundation(though blending with liquid may require a little more effort as compared to powder) or contouring powder (available in some brands such as M.A.C ). I have used Colorbar ‘Just Earth‘ blush as its darker than my skintone.
How to apply : Use contouring brush or any small brush (such as the one provided with most blushes) since the area of application is small. A sponge with angular tip such as the The Body Shop sponge can also be used.
Pull your cheeks in as shown and apply the contouring shade starting near the hairline , moving down towards the lips, following the contour of the cheekbones.
The blush should sit right at the hollow of the cheekbones and should start at the hairline midway next to the ears and slope downward towards the mouth as shown.
Step 2 : Blush
In this step, the blush color of your choice (should be lighter than contouring shade and close to your skin tone) is applied on the apples of the cheeks. To know the location of the apples of your cheeks, smile broadly – the region that is raised and gets balled up is the ‘apple’ of the cheek.
What to use: Blush shade lighter than contouring shade, closest to your skin tone for a natural look. I have used Colorbar ‘Peachy Rose‘. For this step, use a fluffy powder brush or blush brush. The applicators provided with the blushes are generally not the best. Invest in a blush brush for best results. I am using Vega blush brush.
How to apply : Using a fluffy brush, apply in sweeping motion starting at the apple of the cheek moving towards the hairline in upward slope. At the top , DO NOT go beyond the cheekbone to the under eye area. Keep at least 1-1-.5 cm gap from the under eye area. At the inner side, DO NOT take the blush right up the side of the nose, again maintain at least 1-1.5 cm gap. At the bottom, take the blush right upto where the contouring shade starts and blend it in with it.
Step 3: Highlight shade/bronzer
In this step, a shimmery/glittery shade of applied to the top most point of the cheekbones where light would reflect giving a ‘glow’ to the face and highlighting the cheekbones- coupled with contouring, this gives a sculpted and defined look to the cheeks.
What to use : Products sold as ‘highlighters’ , Peach-golden-siver Loose pigments or eyeshadows meant for browbone highlighting, shimmer brick, bronzer. I am using Revlon Colorstay mineral finishing powder ‘Sunkiss Radieux’.
How to apply: This shade is to be applied sparingly and on a very small area i.e the top of the cheekbones. Using an eye shadow brush or small blush brush, pat on the highest point of the cheekbone and take is upwards along the bone as shown.
Final look –
With contouring –
Blush application without contouring –
For added effect of sculpting, sweep some of the contouring shade or bronzer under the jawline
What products do you use for the above 3 steps? Which is your favorite blush? Let me know your comments by replying below.
Today I’m doing a Copper/Black eye makeup tutorial using Chambor eyeshadow trio #85 Mystic. I wore this look in my previous post HERE and Neha requested me to do a tutorial for the eye makeup.
This is a very simple look and I have used all shades from the Chambor ‘Mystic’ trio i.e lid color, crease color and browbone highlight shade.
This is for you Neha, hope you find it useful!
List of products used :
1. BeYu eye base
2. Lakme rose powder
3. Chambor eye shadow trio #85 Mystic
4. Lotus Herbals kajal
5. Maybelline black gel eyeliner
6. Maybelliner colossal volume mascara
7. Faces eyeshadow brush, angled brush, Q-tips
Step 1- Moisturizing and priming
- I used my regular Neutrogena oil free moisturizer which I use all over face on my eyes as well so that the lids and under eye is properly hydrated. If you use specific cream for your lids/under eye area, you should use that here.
- Next, I have applied BeYu eye base which brings out the color of eye shadows and helps them last longer too.
- After this I have applied loose powder all over my lid so that blending becomes easier. I am using Lakme rose powder.
Step 2- Copper eyeshadow
- After dusting a little amount of loose powder all over lids using a fluffy brush, pat copper eyeshadow all over the lid ending at the crease.
Step 3- Grey/Black eyeshadow
- Next, take a small amount of the the grey/black eyeshadow and pat it 3/4th of the way on the crease and on the outer corner making a horizontal ‘V’ as shown.
Step 4- Blending
- Blend using a fluffy brush along the contour of the eye (in the crease,taking it slightly above) and on the outer V. Take a small quantity of loose powder on the brush, pat it on the area to be blended and then blend with a light hand in a to-and-fro motion.
Step 5- Browbone highlighting
- Take the golden highlight shade and apply in under the brow from the highest point of the arch outwards till the end of the brow.
- Blend it with the crease color using more loose powder.
Step 6- Clean up excess
- Clean up the excess in the inner corner using moistened q-tip.
- Clean up the outer corner along a line joining the outer corner of the eye to the outer end point of the brow as shown.
Step 7- Apply a LOT of kajal
- Apply a lot of kajal on your waterline.Let it be enough to run out beyond the water line to the lash line.
- Now using an angled brush or smudging brush, pick up a little bit of the grey black shade and smudge the kajal on your lower lash line. Extend it outward at the outer corner to form a wing.
- Clean up any excesses with a q-tip.
Step 8- Inner corner
- Apply the same highlight shade used on the brow bone to the inner corner of the eye. This will instantly brighten up your eyes.
Step 9- Apply liner and mascara
- Apply winged eye liner on the upper lash line and top off with lots of mascara. Make sure to apply mascara properly on the outermost corners as this gives definition to the eyes and can easily get ignored.
You can apply eye shadow/eye pencil to define your eye brows .
Here’s the final look.
The copper is not showing up as pigmented as it is in this picture 😦
Have you used Chambor eye shadows ? Which is your favorite trio ? Let me know your comments by replying below.
This is a tutorial for a NO-MAKEUP or nude look which I had mentioned in my previous post HERE.
STEP 1 : CTM AND PRIMING
Lotus tea tree cleanser
Neutrogena oil free moisturizer
MAC Prep+ prime
Lotus herbals lip balm in chocolate
1) The first step of everyone’s makeup routine should always start with the golden rule of CTM i.e cleansing, toning and moisturizing. If the skin is not hydrated and healthy, no amount of makeup can make one look good. Moisturizing the face and neck even for oily skinned people is a must! I used lotus tea tree face wash, lotus ‘basiltone’ toner and Neutrogena oil free moisturizer.
2) Allow moisturizer to get absorbed into the skin and then apply sunscreen in case you’ll be stepping outside. I used lacto calamine lotion as it acts as sunscreen and is good for oily acne prone skin like mine.
3) Apply primer all over face and neck for smoother application of foundation and to help makeup last longer. I have used MAC Prep+Prime.
4) Apply lip balm on lips to keep them moisturized.
STEP 2 : EYES
After moisturizing and priming my face, I next do my eye makeup. This is a trick I learnt from a MAC MUA- to do the eye makeup before face base makeup so that any fallout from eyeshadow does not spoil the foundation.
Products used :
BeYu eye base(primer)
Chambor twist up pencil kohl 102- walnut brown
Maybelline chai latte quad
Colorbar I-Glide pencil- cocobar
Street wear transparent mascara
1) The first step while doing eye makeup is priming eye lids. This not only helps it last longer but also makes the eyeshadows appear more vibrant and pigmented. I used BeYu eye base. For priming eyelids you can use-
Eye primer like Urban Decay Primer Potion or BeYu eye base
MAC paint pot in a neutral color like soft ochre or painterly
MAC prep+prime ( I have seen MAC MUAs use this for priming not just face but eyelids as well)
Combination of concealer , foundation and moisturizer
2) In the next step , using a brown pencil, draw a thick line on lid close to the lash line and smudge it with your third finger. I am using Chambor twist up pencil kohl 102 walnut brown . If you are using a transferproof pencil, don’t allow the line to set.
You can also use a smudging brush for this step. Repeat this step for the other eye as well. It should look something like this-
3) Now, use light brown matte finish neutral eyeshadow and lightly apply it all over the lid using a brush. I am using the lid color from Maybelline chai latte quad .
4) Next, take a dark brown matte eyeshadow and apply it on the crease and outer corner of the eye and blend using a fluffy brush. I am using outer corner color from Maybelline chai latte quad.
After blending, apply the same dark brown eyeshadow to the lower lash line and upper lash line and blend it a little. I am not lining my eyes with eye liner here, only using dark brown eyeshadow for a soft neutral look.
5) Apply highlighter on brow bone with a light hand and blend it with the crease color using fluffy brush. I am using brow bone color from Maybelline chai latte quad.
6) Next line the upper and lower water line lightly with brown pencil. I am using Colorbar I-Glide pencil in Cocobar.
7) Lastly, apply transparent mascara to complete the soft neutral look. Volumizing or lengthening mascara will take away the softness and neutrality of the look.
8 ) Clean up the sides and any fallout with a moistened Q-tip.
STEP 3 : FACE
The Body Shop oil free foundation
Colorbar ‘just earth’ blush
Vega blush brush
1) After completing eye makeup, next step is foundation. We had already moisturized and primed the face before eye makeup so the skin is now ready for the foundation. Apply foundation all over face and neck (don’t miss out the neck). I am using The Body Shop oil free foundation mixed with a little Neutrogena oil free moisturizer.
2) Apply concealer using brush or your third finger. Some people like applying concealer before foundation. It can be done either way as long as it blends well . I am using BeYu concealer .
3) Now set your foundation with loose powder/compact. The compact must always be applied after the concealer and not before. I am not using a compact as my otherwise oily /combination skin begins to show dry patches if I apply powder because of the dry weather.
4) Apply your choice of matte earthy blush with a light hand. I am using ‘Just Earth‘ from Colobar (somehow its not showing up in the pictures very well)
STEP 4- LIPS
Products used :
Chambor truly lasting lipstick in ‘truly terracotta’
Colorbar star gloss in ‘timid apricot’
Vega lip brush
1) Since I had applied balm early on before starting my makeup, my lips feel moisturized and I don’t have to apply it just before lipstick. If you apply balm just before lipstick, it tends to slide over it and wears off faster.
2) Now use a nude lipstick shade of your choice and apply it lightly on the lips. Since we want keep the look understated and nude, no highly pigmented shades. I am using Chambor truly lasting lipstick in truly terracotta. This is a reddish brown shade but I am using it very lightly mixed with balm to give just a hint of color. Blot using tissue so that the color is just barely visible.
3) Apply a little clear gloss. I am using Colorbar star gloss in ‘timid apricot’. Its a clear gloss with no glitter or shimmer.
This is my first tutorial. Hope you enjoyed reading!
Let me know your comments and suggestions by replying below.